Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apologia Writing

We don't live in a vacuum.

Our words can hurt others as much as they can enlighten.

Learning to tone down the critical or negative aspects of one's views in light of how others may perceive the message is something I have never been particularly great at.

And, because of this, sometimes it means you have to bite your own words.

NaNoWriMo gave me a lot. Although I have only participated in it a single time, I have fully experienced the trials and stress of the competition. A friend of mine has children and she gave it a shot last year, only to get a few thousands words typed. So, because I finished means what exactly? That I had an easier time. That's all.

Under the guise of being Awesome, it seems I became cocky and then  not-so-cocky after the fact. Now I just pity the poor souls who devote November to the Writing G-ds. I pity them for one main reason: it's a drug that is hard to give up.

I will re-iterate that I am not jealous of my friends doing it this year. It is a tough thing to do and should not be taken lightly. After all, as students, hitting 1667 words a day ain't easy. And, that assumes you don't like writing utter sacks of smelly forgotten words. You want to do well. And so did I.

The first thing one must do in any sort of rhetoric, especially when they are communicating with a potentially opposing beliefs crowd, is not to attack them or make them feel stupid.

I didn't quite miss that mark. I didn't mean to come off as critical or pretentious as I might have. I was only looking to write a blog post.

So, brave NaNo'ers: fare the rocky synonym shores and alliteration valleys with caution as you make your way to the Land of Eternal Denouement. If you're lucky, you might come out with something you'll want to continue working on.

JK

2 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, I didn't read your previous post as a jab at others doing NaNo. But maybe that's because I remember the stress you went through the last time around. School and social life were fighting for your time. You personally have to figure out how to best-prioritize while you are finishing school and moving on with serious life-changes.

    It sounded more to me like you were justifying it to yourself and sharing it with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear rog,

    Thank you for your comment. It just so happens that I changed two sentences which I thought were somewhat pretentious from the original version. The post, as you have keyed in on, was not meant to be rude to anyone, but let me vent a little and try to move on.

    Thanks again for reading! More to come.

    -JK

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog